Opelka, Schnur Advance to Finals, Defeating Top Seeds
The New York Open finals have been set and include American Reilly Opelka and Canadian Brayden Schnur in singles, which makes the Sunday final guarantee a first-time champion is crowned as this is Opelka and Schnur’s first singles final appearance. In doubles, SantiagoÂ Gonzalez andÂ Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi will play Kevin KrawietzÂ and Andreas Mies.
Inser vs Opelkaâ€™s Record-Setting New York Open Semifinal
* Opelka saves 6 MPs to defeat Isner in 3 TBs.
* First-time champion guaranteed (Opelka vs. Schnur).
* Champion who saved MPs guaranteed (Schnur saved 2 MPs vs. Johnson in 2R).
* Opelka hit 43 aces and 1 DF. Isner hit 38 aces and 1 DF.
* 81 combined aces is most in Best-of-3-set match since stats started being tracked in 1991.
* Previous record was 71 aces in 2019 Brisbane 1R — Kyrgios (44) vs. Harrison (27).
* Opelka falls 2 aces shy of individual Best-of-3 record — Karlovic (45) vs. Berdych in 2015 Halle QF.
* Last 7 sets played between Opelka and Isner have been TBs (2019 Australian Open 1R).
* Isner makes 88% of his 1st serves (110/125) — 2nd-highest percentage of his career in an ATP/Grand Slam match (92% yesterday).
Brayden Schnurâ€™s week at the New York Open
* On Sunday, Brayden Schnur defeated 17-year-old Long Island native Cannon Kingsley in opening round of qualifying.
* On Monday, he reached career-high No. 154 in ATP Rankings and beat Alexei Popyrin to qualify.
* On Tuesday, he earned 1st ATP Tour win of career over countryman and Columbia University sophomore Jack Lin.
* On Wednesday, he rallied from 5-2 down in 3rd set and saved 2 match points to beat No. 3 seed Steve Johnson.
* On Thursday, he went to sleep at 3:30 am after his win over Johnson finished Wednesday at 11:37 pm.
* On Friday, he hit 24 aces and held in all 18 of his service games to defeat Paolo Lorenzi 6-7(7) 7-6(5) 7-5.
* On Saturday, he saved 5 set points in 1st set of 7-6(7) 4-6 6-3 victory over No. 6 seed Sam Querrey.
* In Sundayâ€™s final, he bids to become 2nd player in as many weeks to earn 1st win and title at same event (Juan Ignacio Londero at Cordoba).
* In Mondayâ€™s rankings, he will break into the Top 100 if he wins the New York Open title.
SEMIFINAL RESULTS – FEBRUARY 16, 2019
Men’s Singles – Semifinals
R. Opelka (USA) d  J. Isner (USA) 67(8) 76(14) 76(4)
[Q] B. Schnur (CAN) d  S. Querrey (USA) 76(7) 46 63
Men’s Doubles – Semifinals
K. Krawietz (GER) / A. Mies (GER) d  R. Lindstedt (SWE) / T. Puetz (GER) 62 64
S. Gonzalez (MEX) / A. Qureshi (PAK) d A. Mannarino (FRA) / H. Nys (FRA)Â 64 36 12-10
ORDER OF PLAY – SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 17, 2019
STADIUM COURT start 2:00 pm
DOUBLES FINAL – S. Gonzalez (MEX) / A. Qureshi (PAK) vs K. Krawietz (GER) / A. Mies (GER)
Not Before 4:00 pm
SINGLES FINAL – R. Opelka (USA) vs [Q] B. Schnur (CAN)